Friday, December 19, 2008

A Conversation with Matt Redman

12/14/08 sermon, "No Chance" :

http://english.v2.diasporachurch.com/assets/000/000/015/2008_1214.MP3


I hope you all had a blessed Lord's Day. It was refreshing to be in the House of the Lord!

An excerpt from an interview in the summer of 2004 in Atlanta:


Danielle DuRant: First of all, I really appreciated your new book, Facedown, and the companion CD recorded at a worship leaders’ conference here in Atlanta.

Matt Redman: Thanks, that’s real encouraging to hear.

Danielle: Would you comment on the title and how your thinking on the theme of reverence and wonder contributed to this project?

Matt: The whole Facedown concept, it really came from reading through Scripture and noticing how many worshipers were facedown in their devotions. Abraham was a facedown worshiper, Moses, David, Aaron, Ezekiel, Daniel—and that’s just to name a few. You look at the Transfiguration of Jesus, even his disciples were facedown. You get to the book of Revelation and there’s so much facedown worship. It really struck me. Then you get to these heavenly throne room scenes—and what we do conversely. So much of what’s going on there (in worship), we’re reflecting that here on the earth. We’re singing just like the angels are singing. We’re speaking out praise just like the living creatures do.

But the elders are falling facedown. In fact, some of the angels do, too. I thought it was real interesting how so many of these responses we’re mirroring here on earth, but this one we’re not mirroring. We’re not seeing this physical response. It got me thinking, in reading the Bible, that it’s the ultimate physical posture of reverence. It’s the ultimate way you could say with your body, “I know that You are God. I recognize that You are the highest high. In response to that, I am going to get as low as I can get to worship You.”


Odd, isn't it? Ironically...counterintuitively...the times I have been most satisfied and most exhilarated in life, have been the times when I was bowing low in worship of God.

No comments: