Friday, July 30, 2010

The Prerequisite for an Obedient Life.

Jimmy was a miserable sinner. Yeah, he enjoyed his sin, but his life was miserable. He had no purpose. Happiness always seemed one step away...evasive. Then, one day, the Gospel was heard by Jimmy. As God gave him a regenerative heart, he believed in the Treasure, that is, Jesus Christ. His eyes were OPENED!

5 years later. Yeah, Jimmy knows that he's going to heaven. He believes in Jesus. What's hard for Jimmy is living here...on earth...now. He feels defeated. He keeps falling to the same sins...over and over again. He is in bondage.

So many can resonate with Jimmy's predicament.

The Gospel is not just the ABC's of Christianity. It is the A to Z of Christianity. You never "grow up" from it and depart. You only continue growing deeper into it. The Gospel tells you that you are a helpless sinner, but that your sins are covered by the blood of Jesus. The Gospel establishes you identity far better than any thing else. It gives you power to live daily.

Here's what it comes down to. Here's the prerequisite for an obedient life:

And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them. And they shall be my people and I will be their God. -Ezekiel 11:19-20

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. That touched me.