Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's all in a Name.


"It is not that I want merely to be called a Christian, but actually to be one. Yes, if I prove to be one [by being faithful to the end], then I can have the name....Come fire, cross, battling with wild beasts, wrenching of bones, mangling of limbs, crushing of my whole body, cruel tortures of the devil--only let me get to Jesus Christ!" -Ignatius (pastor from Antioch and a disciple of the apostle John).

"For some, being "Christian" is primarily cultural and traditional, a nominal title inherited from a previous generation, the net effect of which involves avoiding certain behaviors and occasionally attending church. For others, being a Christian is largely political, a quest to defend moral values in the public square or perhaps to preserve those values by withdrawing from the public square altogether. Still more define Christianity in terms of a past religious experience, a general belief in Jesus, or a desire to be a good person. Yet all of these fall woefully short of what it truly means to be a Christian from a biblical perspective....Yet, the Bible uses one metaphor more frequently than any of these. It is a word picture you might not expect, but it is absolutely critical for understanding what it means to follow Jesus. It is the image of a slave. Time and time again throughout the pages of Scripture, believers are referred to as slaves of God and slaves of Christ." -John MacArthur, Slave.

My identity: a slave of Jesus Christ.
To which I say, "Yes, Master. I'll go."

1 comment:

J to da P said...

"My identity: a slave of Jesus Christ.
To which I say, "Yes, Master. I'll go."

will keep this perspective as i run this race~ thanx for the post =)