Thursday, August 7, 2008

Contemporary Holiness.

1 Timothy 4:13-16
Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

Absolutely exhausted. Started the day with early morning prayer. Afterwards, I drove my car over to the repair shop by 7 am. I spent the rest of the day running to different repair shops trying to lower expenses. At the end of the day, the total bill surpassed $1,500. By the time I arrived home at 8 pm, I felt guilty about ordering take out chicken for dinner--in light of my car expenses today.
The day began innocently enough. I came out of early morning prayer primed and felt spiritually invigorated. Commitment levels were high. After dropping off my car with the attendant, I entered into the waiting room of the repair shop with my Bible--hoping to get some reading done. What I didn't expect was the TV that was in the waiting room. As focused as I tried to be, my eyes were darting between Good Morning America and 2 Kings...between Al Roker and the Psalms. Somehow I managed to forge on ahead and finished my selected reading passages. That's when a young lady in her twenties rose up and changed the channel, simultaneously raising the volume. The next few hours consisted of Maury and Jerry Springer. Abominations were shown. Within minutes, any personal spiritual resolve...dissolved.
The passage above was one of several powerful passages of Scripture that God used to confirm my personal call to ministry. The picture above was taken during my licensing worship service in June. The deacons, a missionary, and the lead pastor laid hands on me as I knelt on the altar. As they prayed over me, internally I tried to focus. This was an honor. The highest of all callings. This
was the confirmation by God's people of what God had previously confirmed in my own heart. As some of you remember, I then rose to my feet and when given the opportunity to address the congregation, I exclaimed, "Let's Do This!"
...And then we have days like today. People were in the waiting room watching the TV and laughing. Laughing! One elderly woman--with a look of disgust, firmly asked the young lady to turn down the volume and moved her seat. I should have spoken up. An old woman spoke up to some degree! By golly, I'M THE PASTOR! Maaaaaaaan.
Pastors don't have halos around their heads 24/7. We are in this dogfight--in the trenches, with everyone else. We too, have to resist Satan or we will fall. Yet how are we to pursue holiness in a society that besets us with sin? How do we choose Christ over the vain allurements of this world (entertainment, position, fame, sex, etc....)? Especially for those of you reading this and are not in ministry (vocational ministry), how can you go into work day in-day out and not allow your mind to fall under the spell of the conundrums of this present world...to disallow your faith to be dulled...to be awakened to the reality that life is a short preparation for eternity?
11:09 pm. I faintly grasp a paradox that isn't. Sanctification. I am not there yet. Yet, I am saved. A redeemed sinner. A saint. Tonight, I once again need the cross of Christ ravish my heart. The things of this world will only dim when Christ is my ultimate treasure.
It's a long, yet short race: "Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you." We have orders. March faithful.

Yearn

holy design
this place in time
that i might seek and find my God
my God
Lord i want to yearn for You
i want to burn with passion
over You and only You
Lord i want to yearn
Your joy is mine
yet why am i fine
with all my singing and bringing grain
in light of Him
-Shane Barnard

Off to Virginia tomorrow. See you all next week.
Loved this young man's heart for evangelism: http://dempaulh1.blogspot.com/

No comments: